Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

How is your day going?

Started by admin, April 17, 2022, 03:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camper6

I'm not spending much money fixing things up.  It's the time, not the money.. I'm going to take your advice and pick up a used one.  I just hated to succumb to the Microsoft and Windows game making stuff obsolete.  There's something new on the internet.  It's called Windows Legacy.  And it's based on Windows XP.  It's third party.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on November 30, 2023, 09:28:57 AMI'm not spending much money fixing things up.  It's the time, not the money.. I'm going to take your advice and pick up a used one.  I just hated to succumb to the Microsoft and Windows game making stuff obsolete.  There's something new on the internet.  It's called Windows Legacy.  And it's based on Windows XP.  It's third party.

I don't think you want to go down that rabbit hole Peter, read this: https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/legacy-platform-legacy-operating-system

Get yourself a decent machine that works good and enjoy it, you can always play with the junk on the side.

Dave

Quote from: Ronald on November 30, 2023, 09:03:48 PM
Quote from: camper6 on November 30, 2023, 09:28:57 AMI'm not spending much money fixing things up.  It's the time, not the money.. I'm going to take your advice and pick up a used one.  I just hated to succumb to the Microsoft and Windows game making stuff obsolete.  There's something new on the internet.  It's called Windows Legacy.  And it's based on Windows XP.  It's third party.

I don't think you want to go down that rabbit hole Peter, read this: https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/legacy-platform-legacy-operating-system

Get yourself a decent machine that works good and enjoy it, you can always play with the junk on the side.

I agree with Ron Camper the legacy version isn't worth messing with
If you want play quizzes or games click below

camper6

I'm not going to mess with the legacy thing.  I have too much on my plate now.  I spend a lot of time on political forums and stuff that doesn't work just takes up too much time without results.  However, my Desktop works just fine for communicating on forums and it's running Windows XP.   There's stuff on that old computer that is no longer available.  I'm glad I messed with older computers because I found a way to transfer the files and settings to a new one. 

Audacity and NTI CD  are two programs that I use constantly.  And now I'm into Files and Transfer Wizard connecting two computers together.  And I never touched the BIOS before and now have confidence in how to use it. 

Dave

That's exactly how I learnt Camper.

My first desktop PC I bought back around 1995/6 went wrong and I spoke to the support people where I bought it and they told me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows 95. I didn't have the foggiest notion what I was doing but managed to reinstall it.

Then some time after that I found out that all I had to do was actually re-run the windows 95 setup files and that would also have worked without messing with any of my personal files.

After that I swore never to reply on company support again and I learnt every thing I could about hardware and software. Now I can pretty much fix anything, and do repairs for others who are not so familiar with Windows.
If you want play quizzes or games click below

camper6

Well thanks for the help.  The struggle goes on but the challenge is the thing.  When equipment gets old you also have to expect the hardware to fail.  Right now the monitor on a laptop I'm working on is black.  But I'm able to connect with an external monitor which happens to be my television hooked up with a serial cable.  I hope it's a graphics problem and not a faulty monitor. 
My son is a software programmer. Bought him a commodore computer way bay when personal computers were the thing.  He taught himself to program on it.  He tells me his company is trying to get away from Windows. Too many changes.  Companies depend on their software and it's expensive.  Then Windows makes the computer obsolete.  It's a big investment.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on December 02, 2023, 09:09:51 AMWell thanks for the help.  The struggle goes on but the challenge is the thing.  When equipment gets old you also have to expect the hardware to fail.  Right now the monitor on a laptop I'm working on is black.  But I'm able to connect with an external monitor which happens to be my television hooked up with a serial cable.  I hope it's a graphics problem and not a faulty monitor. 
My son is a software programmer. Bought him a commodore computer way bay when personal computers were the thing.  He taught himself to program on it.  He tells me his company is trying to get away from Windows. Too many changes.  Companies depend on their software and it's expensive.  Then Windows makes the computer obsolete.  It's a big investment.

Windows is not a very secure software. Easily hacked and also loaded with errors.
Have to admire you for tinkering, I love doing that also, but at the same time I like to have a machine that is reliable for me to use.

camper6

I'm looking at buying myself a Christmas present and sending the obsolete stuff for recycling. In the meantime I sure have learned a lot.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on December 06, 2023, 07:11:01 PMI'm looking at buying myself a Christmas present and sending the obsolete stuff for recycling. In the meantime I sure have learned a lot.

Now? what has made you change your mind?

camper6

What made me change my mind is all the time I used up with experimenting.

You can accumulate money but you can't accumulate time.

After all I'm ninety and there's always stuff to do that gets left behind.

I haven't put up my Christmas tree yet.  Too busy. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on December 08, 2023, 11:27:44 AMWhat made me change my mind is all the time I used up with experimenting.

Yea never enough time in the day.

camper6

Now I see legislation coming forward that companies have to make parts available and means to fix appliances instead of throwing them in the landfill.  I suppose that would include screwdrivers to fit those special screws that can't be removed.
And maintenance manuals with diagrams of all the parts.  How often do I get that the page I am looking for is no longer available.

camper6

Quote from: Ronald on December 09, 2023, 10:57:46 AM
Quote from: camper6 on December 08, 2023, 11:27:44 AMWhat made me change my mind is all the time I used up with experimenting.

Haven't done my tree yet and it only takes 15 minutes.  But I have a lighted wreath on the door.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on December 17, 2023, 11:18:27 AM
Quote from: Ronald on December 09, 2023, 10:57:46 AM

Haven't done my tree yet and it only takes 15 minutes.  But I have a lighted wreath on the door.

Peter to be honest, I really don't care for Christmas as much as I use to. Christmas is more for the young kids. Besides people don't really know what Christmas is all about, only thing they have in common is I got to give a gift, so I can get a gift back.. To dam commercialized.

camper6

I went out and bought myself a Christmas gift.  At Marshalls.  A nice pair of long johns on sale.  It's cold here.  They make a huge difference when you're walking and the wind is blowing.  Isn't today Dec. 21 the Winter Solstice where the days get longer?  Happy Solstice.