Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

Favourite sweets

Started by charry, January 25, 2024, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charry

What were your favourite sweets as a kid , and now

As a kid, i loved the mushroom coconuts, sherbet lemons and cough( candy twists
 I dont eat many sweets now , a# im for into savoury , but i like licorice .. 

Mart

Quote from: charry on January 25, 2024, 01:48:42 PMWhat were your favourite sweets as a kid , and now

All of those Charry and I'm still buying liquorice. I can add Horlicks tablets to the ones bought as a child, plus gob stoppers and bubblegum thinking about it. I like dark chocolate based sweets now.

One sweet Mrs Mart and me still like is Flying Saucers and we sometimes buy a bag to relive our childhood. They are fairly divided by counting them out just like kids do ..although being grown-ups, we don't argue if there is an odd one. I say she can have it, which I think is very adult of me.  :)

charry

Quote from: Mart on January 26, 2024, 03:32:08 AM
Quote from: charry on January 25, 2024, 01:48:42 PMWhat were your favourite sweets as a kid , and now

All of those Charry and I'm still buying liquorice. I can add Horlicks tablets to the ones bought as a child, plus gob stoppers and bubblegum thinking about it. I like dark chocolate based sweets now.

One sweet Mrs Mart and me still like is Flying Saucers and we sometimes buy a bag to relive our childhood. They are fairly divided by counting them out just like kids do ..although being grown-ups, we don't argue if there is an odd one. I say she can have it, which I think is very adult of me.  :)

Aww your a nice guy 😂
Do you save your last rolo for mrs mart also lol

Going back to the flyng saucers, don't you find they stick to your upper palate lol
Not forgetting the pink prawns and yellow bananas

We should of made this a new thread "OLDEN DAYS SWEETS "

Hubby just quirked up and said palm toffee....

charry

Quote from: charry on January 26, 2024, 09:52:04 AM
Quote from: Mart on January 26, 2024, 03:32:08 AM

Aww your a nice guy 😂

Going back to the flyng saucers, don't you find they stick to your upper palate lol

Ronald

As a kid I loved ju jubes, hum bugs, licorice.

Licorice when I was young was good not like the crap today, we had licorice pipes, plugs, cigars.

No quality in today sweets.

charry

Quote from: Ronald on January 26, 2024, 09:56:37 AMAs a kid I loved ju jubes, hum bugs, licorice.

Licorice when I was young was good not like the crap today, we had licorice pipes, plugs, cigars.

Can you still get those yummy chocolate turtles ron
My friend ,sent them to me every xmas until they passed away, we dont get them now  ???

Ronald

Turtles oh yes, they make your teeth chatter after eating them.You cannot view attachments, please sign in or register.

Here is an easy recipe to make them.

Our easy Homemade Turtles are made with chewy caramel, toasted pecans, and rich chocolate for one of the BEST Christmas candy recipes that you really can (and should!) enjoy all year round. They can be made without a candy thermometer in under 30 minutes for a fun treat that makes a great edible gift for friends and neighbors!

https://houseofnasheats.com/homemade-turtles-candy/

Mart

Quote from: charry on January 26, 2024, 09:53:12 AMAww your a nice guy ??

We haven't put Rolos to the test :)

Flying Saucers do stick to the upper palate. I let them stick there and dissolve until the sherbet can be tasted. They last a few seconds more that way.

Funny you should mention yellow bananas. Our son brought a big box of them around just before Christmas. We have been eating a handful occasionally and finished them up a few days ago. Not counted out this time because there were loads of them.

Yes, palm toffees definitely. Such a choice of sweets to buy with the Saturday morning pocket money. All of those 'four or two for a penny' sweets. Sweet rationing was still on when my sister and I were kids. I can hear the lady in the sweetshop now asking in a really posh voice, "Have you got your Coupons?"  :)

Quote from: Ronald on January 26, 2024, 09:56:37 AMAs a kid I loved ju jubes, hum bugs, licorice.

Liquorice isn't as good today generally but the are a couple of makes her that aren't bad. Haribo and genuine Pontefract cakes are the ones to buy but they aren't as easy to get as some of the poorer quality liquorice.

Hic

cough candy twists,and aniseed balls

charry

Quote from: Ronald on January 26, 2024, 08:48:30 PMTurtles oh yes, they make your teeth chatter after eating them.You cannot view attachments, please sign in or register.

Here is an easy recipe to make them.

Our easy Homemade Turtles are made with chewy caramel, toasted pecans, and rich chocolate for one of the BEST Christmas candy recipes that you really can (and should!) enjoy all year round. They can be made without a candy thermometer in under 30 minutes for a fun treat that makes a great edible gift for friends and neighbors!

https://houseofnasheats.com/homemade-turtles-candy/

Ermm i dont think so ron

I dont and cant/cook im afraid
Got this passed down to me from mum

Dad was a great cook tho, but after burning the rock cakes in the domestic science lesson , ive never bothered

The same goes for sewing  ::)