Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

Cruise ships on the Great Lakes

Started by Campy, June 06, 2022, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Campy

Thunder Bay is the terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway.  We recently had a cruise ship visit.

I looked up the price.  It's not cheap.  About $8000.  8 days two countries.

The Ship is beautiful.  The Viking Octantis.

You cannot view attachments, please sign in or register.

Ronald

Campy a cruise on one of these ships is  dream of a lifetime, but yes very expensive. Of course the ships are all "Luxury Liners" meaning everything is top notch. There are like a floating city, also a magnet for sickness, like legionnaires diseased, covid.

Campy

What happened to the attachment icon?  I'm trying to post a picture.  When I click on it. //

Ronald

Quote from: Campy post_id=372 time=1654869353 user_id=65
What happened to the attachment icon?  I'm trying to post a picture.  When I click on it. //

Click on Full Editor, Attachments are on the bottom left corner.

Campy

A new ship is headed from Duluth Minnesota to Thunder Bay.  Smaller but nice.

[attachment[/attachment]

Ronald

I would love to go on one of these cruises. About 30 years ago, I asked the wife if she wanted to take a cruise on one of these ships, nope. no way. Nothing wrong with living in luxury for a month.

Campy

I'm hoping one of those ships will allow tours at the stops they make.  I would be a stowaway.

Ronald

Quote from: Campy post_id=381 time=1654896203 user_id=65
I'm hoping one of those ships will allow tours at the stops they make.  I would be a stowaway.

Hey I'll stowaway with you, then we can enjoy some luxury, until we get caught and tossed overboard. :15:

Campy

I'm going down to the Marina today to see if they have any local tours of the Harbour.

Ronald

Quote from: Campy post_id=383 time=1654947695 user_id=65
I'm going down to the Marina today to see if they have any local tours of the Harbour.

I hope you get to tour the ship, look for a good hiding place while your onboard.

Campy

I looked it up.  There aren't any ships there that I would take out on Lake Superior.  I had a terrible experience on the Lake as a young boy.  We used to take rafts along the shoreline and one day the wind blew me out on the Lake and I was drifting without being able to get my pole on the sand dunes.

I was lucky because I was able to hit a sand dune that I could follow to a trestle and get off.  I left the raft there which drifted out into the middle of the lake and I couldn't swim at the time.

Ronald

Quote from: Campy post_id=391 time=1655012249 user_id=65
I looked it up.  There aren't any ships there that I would take out on Lake Superior.  I had a terrible experience on the Lake as a young boy.  We used to take rafts along the shoreline and one day the wind blew me out on the Lake and I was drifting without being able to get my pole on the sand dunes.

I was lucky because I was able to hit a sand dune that I could follow to a trestle and get off.  I left the raft there which drifted out into the middle of the lake and I couldn't swim at the time.

Scary campy, lucky you made it. Lake Superior is no lake to fool around with.

I had a couple of experiences on Lake St. Clair. Had a 18 foot aluminum row boat with a 4 hp Mercury on it. Two of us went fishing and a storm came up. Started to head back to shore, the waves were coming over the boat and filling it with water, we bailed fast, but we did make it back, soaked of course.

Another time a four of us went on a fishing camping trip, again Lake St, Clair, this time we rented a large boat. Out in the middle of the lake fishing and drifting. When ready to go back to shore the engine would not start, one guy was a mechanic, and tried to fix the engine.

In the mean time the US Coast Guard spotted us, hovered over us, until a larger cruiser came, tied to us and towed us back to the dock.

Campy

Fishing and boating expeditions are loaded with tales of disaster.  It takes the fun out of it.

Now that you can check the weather forecast it makes it a lot easier to stay home.  Out in the middle of the lake and a wind and storm come up and you're at the mercy of the weather.  There's nowhere to hide.

Ronald

Quote from: Campy post_id=393 time=1655066142 user_id=65
Fishing and boating expeditions are loaded with tales of disaster.  It takes the fun out of it.

Now that you can check the weather forecast it makes it a lot easier to stay home.  Out in the middle of the lake and a wind and storm come up and you're at the mercy of the weather.  There's nowhere to hide.

Even with a larger boat. I had a 20 foot bow rider with a 75 HP Mercury, there was no waste of time, getting up a go, but even still you hit the high waves, and they come in, good thing for bilge pumps.

Use to troll a lot for musky and pickerel fish, lost a real good heavy trolling rod and reel trolling, wasn't paying attention, got a hit and it was gone.

I have fished or owned a boat probably for the last 40 years. But still have two tackle boxes full of gear and three good rods. Checked the tackle boxes not to long ago, items still look good. Should give the stuff away to some kid who likes fishing.

Campy

All my stuff is gone when I moved from my house to an apartment.  Not enough storage room.

I really don't miss it because I did a lot of fishing in my time.