Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

Strange Cars I have owned

Started by camper6, January 23, 2024, 07:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camper6

There is one strange car I remember.
When it rained, that car wouldn't start.
I took it in to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it so one night I decided to hang a light bulb on under the hood when it was raining.
The next morning the car started.
So in my search to find the cause, I looked in the glove compartment for the manual.
I located a phone number for General Motors in Winnipeg.
I told them my problem and they were very helpful.
The told me to get some gasoline and a rag and remove the spark plug wires one by one and wipe it down and replace it.so I wouldn't get mixed up.
I tried it and next time it rained that car started without a problem.  They explained to me that grease and oil bullds up on the wires causing them to ground the charge from the spark plug when it's damp.
Quick fix and no charge.  Who would have thought?
Sometimes it pays to call the manufacturer.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 23, 2024, 07:47:40 AMThere is one strange car I remember.
When it rained, that car wouldn't start.
I took it in to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it so one night I decided to hang a light bulb on under the hood when it was raining.
The next morning the car started.
So in my search to find the cause, I looked in the glove compartment for the manual.
I located a phone number for General Motors in Winnipeg.
I told them my problem and they were very helpful.
The told me to get some gasoline and a rag and remove the spark plug wires one by one and wipe it down and replace it.so I wouldn't get mixed up.
I tried it and next time it rained that car started without a problem.  They explained to me that grease and oil bullds up on the wires causing them to ground the charge from the spark plug when it's damp.
Quick fix and no charge.  Who would have thought?
Sometimes it pays to call the manufacturer.

I had the same problem, only difference the car was a Chrysler, rained no start. Had to spray all the ignition wire with sprat either to dry them. Then the head lamps fell out, the car had double head lamps, the metal around the bucket would rot out causing the bucket to drop out.

camper6

We did have a lot of problem with rust because they were recycling scrap metal.

Now they dunk the whole car to rust proof it.  Works for awhile but there's no way to stop rust in a climate where they use salt to melt the snow and ice on the roads.  The solution of course would be to use stainless steel  where the wheels are.

charry

I had a "christine " car, anyone remember the film ....

It was a granada scorpio , ..but was really weird, the doors kept locking, and driving down the motorway one day, it was raining heavy, put my wipers on, and they just flew off....

.got it checked next day, as it took me 15mins to get out of the  car at my destination   ,  and i got told , i had a "cut and shut "car ......2 cars combined together
Its lucky it this car never killed me ....

camper6

I had the same problem, only difference the car was a Chrysler, rained no start. Had to spray all the ignition wire with sprat either to dry them. Then the head lamps fell out, the car had double head lamps, the metal around the bucket would rot out causing the bucket to drop out.
[/quote]

After cleaning I went to an auto parts store and they gave me a spray to waterproof the spark plug cables and I had no problem after that.