Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

My installation of a hot water tank

Started by Ronald, September 23, 2023, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

How to clean install Dell Laptop

Peter I have downloaded Windows XP Pro on my USB Stick.

Now please email me your Name, Address I will send the USB Stick to you by Canada Post.

camper6

Thanks. Do I have your email address?
Also.  The Windows XP on the disk now is XP professional and I think it's 32 bit.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on October 02, 2023, 08:43:13 AMThanks. Do I have your email address?
Also.  The Windows XP on the disk now is XP professional and I think it's 32 bit.

You have a disc with Windows XP Pro on it. If ao put the disc in and reboot, 0follow the setup.

camper6

I don't have the XP professional disk.  I have the home edition.  The laptop given to me has XP professional on it. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on October 03, 2023, 09:54:52 AMI don't have the XP professional disk.  I have the home edition.  The laptop given to me has XP professional on it. 

OK Give me your full name and address and I'll mail the USB to you. The USB has windows xp pro 32 bit and a copy of 64 bit.
What else do you need.?

camper6

What do I need?  Know how.  How do I install a complete reboot and installation of Windows when I can't get into windows from the sign in because it needs a password.

Anyway it's very kind of you to offer.

My address: .

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on October 03, 2023, 12:03:25 PMWhat do I need?  Know how.  How do I install a complete reboot and installation of Windows when I can't get into windows from the sign in because it needs a password.

Anyway it's very kind of you to offer.

My address:

All you need to do is put the USB Stick in the right spot and boot the computer up, it will ask you a few questions on what you wish to save. Then let it go and follow. This is called a Clean Install. The computer should also pick up the Microsoft Key Number.

I will mail this first thing in the morning, you should get it by the weekend, if the pony express is running all the ponies.

Check this out, read it over and study it: https://www.wikihow.com/Reinstall-Windows-XP

Ronald

Mailed to you Peter. She said you should get the letter first part of next week.

Dave

Gents, in order for the stick to run at boot you need to set the boot sequence in the bios first or it will just bypass it every time.

Go in to the bios and find boot, then nake sure that USB is first in the list, unless you are using a cd/dvd then you need to set that first.

Once you've reset the boot sequence exit and save configuration. Then make sure the pc is switched off, then plug in the ub stick and swith the pc on. Now it should read from the stick and give you options of what to do.

Hope that helps
If you want play quizzes or games click below

camper6

Thank you I know how to do the boot sequence from the BIOS.

Question does the present copy of Windows which is installed get wiped over?

Dave

Quote from: camper6 on October 05, 2023, 11:26:42 PMThank you I know how to do the boot sequence from the BIOS.

Question does the present copy of Windows which is installed get wiped over?

There is the possibility that when it's first initialised there may be an option to completely wipe the drive and start again or install Windows but keep your files. The problem with that is I don't know if it get's rid of the password.

It's been a while since I've had to do that now and my memory isn't great ;)

I've just been reading about this some more. It might be worth trying some of the options that are posted here Camper, especially the one about halfway down that starts 'Now let's say you forget the password for your local account'

https://uk.pcmag.com/migrated-3765-windows-10/132753/how-to-reset-a-forgotten-windows-10-password
If you want play quizzes or games click below

camper6

Thanks I have given up on trying to reset the password. 
I am going to do a complete wipe and reinstall from the flash drive.
The laptop was given to me by a family member and they prefer to have it reset completely so there are no conflicts.
And I have read a lot about resetting a password but that doesn't always work with Windows XP. That's the sad part about using an oudated O/S.
If worse comes to worse I'm going to get a new laptop. There's a local repair business that takes outdated equipment for parts.

camper6

I received the flash drives today.  I will try to use them tomorrow.  Thank you.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on October 11, 2023, 12:14:29 PMI received the flash drives today.  I will try to use them tomorrow.  Thank you.

Good luck Peter. Sure hope it works out for you.

camper6

The installation of Windows XP professional didn't work.  Message that flash drive was not recognized.  I am going to try Home Edition.  There isn't much difference.