Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

My installation of a hot water tank

Started by Ronald, September 23, 2023, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

30 years ago I bought a new 40 gallon electric hot water tank, well it finnaly gave out, not bad for a 6 year warranty.

So off I go and bought another Rheem electric hot water tank, 39 gallons.

This one is 1 inch rounder than the old one was, so I could not squeeze it by the toilet and shower. Waited for the guy next door to come home. He came over and we lifted it in place.

Now I have loads of copper plumbing supplies from over the years. Now I start the plumbing of the lines. Got the cold water down OK now leaks, by now I am ready to quit. Started again the next day, did the hot water lines.

Turn the water back on and the electricity, hot water line has about 3 leaks. Tried draining some water from the tank, tried to resolder the joints, no way would it work.

Shut water off again, head out for new parts, today I  redid the hot water lines over, turn water on, 1 leak, for got to soder one joint. Drain the water again, and put the torch to the joint, yea it got hot enough to melt the soder. Turn water back on, so far so good.

Next time let someone else do the job.

camper6

Terrific result.  Money well spent. 

Here there must have been a power surge or something.  My nephew's computer crashed, my friends computer crashed, my computer crashed and my friend's television crashed.

So I have one laptop and one tower computer still working.  But on the laptop I can't remember the windows name and password for Windows. I'm taking it to a computer repair.  They want 50 bucks to fix it.  There must be a way to bypass the sign in but I can't figure it out.

My friend's computer has a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse and there are batteries in them that are quite old.  So I'll replace them and see if it boots up.  It's an all in one ACER and it cost about 900 dollars and it's not that old.

Went to a yard sale on Saturday.  I picked up a card shuffler for $5.  Spent about two hours working on it to get it going.  Anything old and the solder joints and plastic covering get brittle.  Got it going by resoldering all the joints and replacing wires.  Took it for cards on Sunday night and it worked just fine.  You can expect anything you pick up at a yard sale to not work because that's why they are getting rid of it.

Someone down the street is advertising an ACER laptop for $150.  He's close by so I'll take a look at it.  In the meantime my ancient tower and monitor are working just fine but on the slow side.  I will be dumping a lot of programs I no longer use.   

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on September 25, 2023, 09:07:11 AMTerrific result.  Money well spent. 

Here there must have been a power surge or something.  My nephew's computer crashed, my friends computer crashed, my computer crashed and my friend's television crashed.

So I have one laptop and one tower computer still working.  But on the laptop I can't remember the windows name and password for Windows. I'm taking it to a computer repair.  They want 50 bucks to fix it.  There must be a way to bypass the sign in but I can't figure it out.

My friend's computer has a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse and there are batteries in them that are quite old.  So I'll replace them and see if it boots up.  It's an all in one ACER and it cost about 900 dollars and it's not that old.

Went to a yard sale on Saturday.  I picked up a card shuffler for $5.  Spent about two hours working on it to get it going.  Anything old and the solder joints and plastic covering get brittle.  Got it going by resoldering all the joints and replacing wires.  Took it for cards on Sunday night and it worked just fine.  You can expect anything you pick up at a yard sale to not work because that's why they are getting rid of it.

Someone down the street is advertising an ACER laptop for $150.  He's close by so I'll take a look at it.  In the meantime my ancient tower and monitor are working just fine but on the slow side.  I will be dumping a lot of programs I no longer use. 

Accessing the computer as 'administrator'
On Windows, there is a hidden account named Administrator. Most of the time, this account has no password set.

That means that you can start your computer with this account, open the Control Panel to delete or change the password of any users and fix your problem.

To do this requires a few simple steps:

* Boot your computer and immediately press on the F8 key repeatedly until your computer displays the boot menu.
* With the arrow keys, choose Safe Mode and press the Enter key.
* On the home screen click on Administrator.
* If you have no home screen, type Administrator and leave the password field as blank.
* Click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner, go to the Control Panel, then in  User Accounts you can change any user passwords easily.
This method may or may not work depending on which operating system you are running.

camper6

I gave it a try.  Didn't work.  I'm going to have to take it to a computer guru.  They charge $40 just to look at it.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on September 26, 2023, 11:02:46 AMI gave it a try.  Didn't work.  I'm going to have to take it to a computer guru.  They charge $40 just to look at it.

What is on the laptop? Windows XP, or Pro, or windows 8. What kind o0f laptop is it. Make and model.

Then I can search 0for you. I was thinking of downloading a ISO copy and reinstalling windows.

camper6

It's a Dell Inspiron Latitude D630- Windows XP Professional.
It boots up to the Windows Screen asking for Name and Password.
I can boot up to the BIOS screen but can't find anything that works.
I have tried Administrator.  Doesn't work.
Can't do anything with it really until I can sign in to Windows.
It shouldn't be that difficult for a pro. They must have discs that will bypass the sign in.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on September 27, 2023, 10:08:23 AMIt's a Dell Inspiron Latitude D630- Windows XP Professional.
It boots up to the Windows Screen asking for Name and Password.
I can boot up to the BIOS screen but can't find anything that works.
I have tried Administrator.  Doesn't work.
Can't do anything with it really until I can sign in to Windows.
It shouldn't be that difficult for a pro. They must have discs that will bypass the sign in.

Here is an easy way. Sa0fe Mode.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/windows-xp-password-reset.html

Scroll down a little until you see #2 Safe Mode. Now read it over a couple or three times. Try and keep the page open while you do the Safe Mode on the Laptop, this way it might be easier to follow.

# 2. Windows XP Password Reset via Safe Mode with CMD

camper6

I have no trouble getting into safe mode.

The problem I have is that when I select safe mode with command prompt and hit enter all it does is list the system from what I read.

I'm sending photos of the laptop screen.  I think the BIOS must be screwed up.

And after awhile after that listing it goes back to the Windows Log in screen in safe mode.  I tried Administrator.  It doesn't work.

Ronald

I don't know why that came up.

If you want to take it to the pro's go ahead.

or you could do a new install. You'll need a UBS stick to download windows xp pro onto.

Read this: https://tech-latest.com/download-windows-xp-iso/ 

You can download xp pro from there.

camper6

Thanks.  I have never tried doing a clean install.  I'm going to give it a shot.  I would love to know how to do it so I can try it on another laptop that's not working.
Thanks for your help. 

camper6

Progress.  I was able to enter the BIOS for changes by using the F12 key on Dell instead of the F8 key. Big difference.

I now have the Administrator password changed and the System Password changed.

But when I enter the password on the Windows sign in screen it still won't let me in.

I do remember when given this laptop that I didn't need to enter any passwords.  It would just boot up in Windows.  So I'm confused to know what to do next.

I'm sending the picture of the options for security.  Hope I'm not taking too much of your time. 

Ronald

You can download a copy of XP Pro here: https://archive.org/details/windowsxpprox64english

On the right side look for ISO Images, click it open, select Windows XP Pro English 64 Bit

How to do a clean install o0f Windows XP Pro 64 Bit.

Video:

This is how to do a Clean Install 0from the UBS Stick (read care0fully and 0follow directions)

https://isoriver.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-xp-on-your-computer/

Here is the XP Pro ISO. Put it on a USB Stick, you'll need 8 GB USB or larger.

I tried to download a copy 0for you, but the 0forum would not accept the download.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on September 28, 2023, 03:26:12 PMProgress.  I was able to enter the BIOS for changes by using the F12 key on Dell instead of the F8 key. Big difference.

I now have the Administrator password changed and the System Password changed.

But when I enter the password on the Windows sign in screen it still won't let me in.

I do remember when given this laptop that I didn't need to enter any passwords.  It would just boot up in Windows.  So I'm confused to know what to do next.

I'm sending the picture of the options for security.  Hope I'm not taking too much of your time. 

Can't make out what is on the image.

Just put admin and no password, may  get you in. Must setups just use admin and no password.

camper6

Tried everything to get into Windows.  Set everything to factory default.  No dice. 

Still asks for password. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on October 01, 2023, 11:13:11 AMTried everything to get into Windows.  Set everything to factory default.  No dice. 

Still asks for password. 

Get a USB Stick about 8 or more GB. Now download windows xp pro onto the stick.

Get it here https://archive.org/download/Windows_XP_Professional_x64.iso

Now when it is downloaded onto the stick,

Follow this.

Including results for how to do a clean install of windows xp pro.
Do you want results only for how to do a clean install of windocws xp pro?

To clean install Windows XP, you need:
1. Insert the Windows XP installation disc or USB drive and restart your computer.
2. Press any key to boot from the CD or USB drive when prompted.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to start the installation process.
4. When prompted, select the option to perform a clean installation.
5. Create a backup of your files.
6. Delete the current partition and create a new partition with the desired size and file system.
7. Format the new partition.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process, including setting region, time, and network settings, and adding computer/domain names and passwords.

Plug the USB stick in and start the computer, 0follow directions, it should do a clean install.

Or check this out, by pass the password