Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

Rescued two DVD players

Started by camper6, July 21, 2023, 08:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camper6

I picked up two Sony DVD players free from someone leaving the apartments.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook them up to my television set.

One of them has an HDMI output but the other one is only RCA output jacks.  This is going to be a work in process because I don't have a clue what is required.  The speakers I have now are just the ordinary plugs. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on July 21, 2023, 08:08:59 AMI picked up two Sony DVD players free from someone leaving the apartments.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook them up to my television set.

One of them has an HDMI output but the other one is only RCA output jacks.  This is going to be a work in process because I don't have a clue what is required.  The speakers I have now are just the ordinary plugs. 

Search for the manual: https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/support/home-video-dvd-players-recorders/manuals

camper6

The HDMI port worked on one of them and the cable was only $4 at Dollarama.

The other one I haven't been able to get to work on an older t.v. without HDMI.  I need what is called a composite cable.

Whoever owned these items must have been heavy smokers because they had to be cleaned first before I started working on them.  I also think smoke must get inside and causing problems with the lens on the players scanning the disks. 

I would love to be able to get one working in my bedroom so I could fall asleep to some relaxing music.

Thanks for the link.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on July 22, 2023, 07:31:33 AMThe HDMI port worked on one of them and the cable was only $4 at Dollarama.

The other one I haven't been able to get to work on an older t.v. without HDMI.  I need what is called a composite cable.

Whoever owned these items must have been heavy smokers because they had to be cleaned first before I started working on them.  I also think smoke must get inside and causing problems with the lens on the players scanning the disks. 

I would love to be able to get one working in my bedroom so I could fall asleep to some relaxing music.

Thanks for the link.

Good for you, got one working, here are the cables you need: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1311&_nkw=composite+cable&_sacat=32834.

Probably buy these at most stores.

camper6

I had those RCA cables and I hooked up the DVD player to my older Sony TV in my bedroom.

It was really simple when I figured it out.   Just connect the cables to the DVD player to the red and white ouput on the DVD player.  Then connect to the red and white input on the TV set.  Then change the source with the remote to video 2 and the set and remote control everything and it plays through the existing speakers.  I haven't tried it for video yet but I'm more interested in audio.

The other DVD player had an HDMI output and the television had an HDMI input so that one was easy.   

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on July 24, 2023, 11:21:30 AMI had those RCA cables and I hooked up the DVD player to my older Sony TV in my bedroom.

It was really simple when I figured it out.   Just connect the cables to the DVD player to the red and white ouput on the DVD player.  Then connect to the red and white input on the TV set.  Then change the source with the remote to video 2 and the set and remote control everything and it plays through the existing speakers.  I haven't tried it for video yet but I'm more interested in audio.

The other DVD player had an HDMI output and the television had an HDMI input so that one was easy.   

I may need you to come to my place and set mine up.

camper6

RCA cables and such are uncharted waters.  It's trial and error.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on July 26, 2023, 10:03:26 AMRCA cables and such are uncharted waters.  It's trial and error.

Look online. I have a big RCA flat screen. One day I grabbed it with my fingers on the top of the screen, and it started to flash, done blew it out. Warranty replaced it. But now I know all these are controlled by boards inside the back.

camper6

Yes controlled inside.  And when it comes to computers it's not such a hot idea when you have the monitor and the computer in the same setup.  Right now I'm still using an older computer because it has facilities on it that you don't see anymore.  For instance I can still read 2 1/4 inch diskettes and cards from cameras on the computer as well as CD's.
Desktops don't have those facilities anymore.And there's programs I downloaded that are no longer being offered. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on July 27, 2023, 10:09:36 AMYes controlled inside.  And when it comes to computers it's not such a hot idea when you have the monitor and the computer in the same setup.  Right now I'm still using an older computer because it has facilities on it that you don't see anymore.  For instance I can still read 2 1/4 inch diskettes and cards from cameras on the computer as well as CD's.
Desktops don't have those facilities anymore.And there's programs I downloaded that are no longer being offered. 

I still have an old Gateway sitting in the closet, Windows XP