Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

Online Store new in Canada

Started by camper6, March 14, 2023, 07:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camper6

I ordered from TEMU- online started recently for Canada.
The prices are fantastic because shipping is free.  Apparently China has a deal with the government for shipping exports.
I received my parcel on time delivered by Canada Post right to my apartment door.
The item I wanted was a light box that I want to use for viewing negatives.  The quality was good.  A variable light intensity and it plugs into a wall charger or computer with a U.S.B. port. I also ordered a grab bar for my shower that works by suction.  Not very good on that one but neither was the more expensive one that I paid much more for. They will take returns.My next order will be Dremel accessories like cutting discs.Poor selection at the hardware stores on those.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on March 14, 2023, 07:55:19 AMI ordered from TEMU- online started recently for Canada.
The prices are fantastic because shipping is free.  Apparently China has a deal with the government for shipping exports.
I received my parcel on time delivered by Canada Post right to my apartment door.
The item I wanted was a light box that I want to use for viewing negatives.  The quality was good.  A variable light intensity and it plugs into a wall charger or computer with a U.S.B. port. I also ordered a grab bar for my shower that works by suction.  Not very good on that one but neither was the more expensive one that I paid much more for. They will take returns.My next order will be Dremel accessories like cutting discs.Poor selection at the hardware stores on those.

I'll have to check Temu out, I do a bit of online buying, amazon, ebay, walmart, etc.

camper6

Without the shipping charge the prices are shocking.  Seems almost like they are selling junk. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on March 15, 2023, 08:34:49 AMWithout the shipping charge the prices are shocking.  Seems almost like they are selling junk. 

Camper, what I seen is junk, crap from China and Japan, when it comes to working tools, I avoid anything from China or Japan, wrenches are knuckle busters.

camper6

It's a question of where do you go when you need something you can't find elsewhere.  You go to the dollar store and walk the aisles.  Sure a lot of the stuff is junky and you don't need but there's a lot of stuff that fills the bill at a good price.  The item I ordered from TEMU I couldn't find.  The light box works terrific.  And the grab bar works better than the one I previously bought for three times the price. Everything is pretty well manufactured in China anyway.  You can't walk into Walmart and buy something made in Canada or the United States except for some items that you pay a fortune for like a Kitchen Aid stand blender.  Does everyone need that much power unless your a baker? 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on March 16, 2023, 12:03:53 PMIt's a question of where do you go when you need something you can't find elsewhere.  You go to the dollar store and walk the aisles.  Sure a lot of the stuff is junky and you don't need but there's a lot of stuff that fills the bill at a good price.  The item I ordered from TEMU I couldn't find.  The light box works terrific.  And the grab bar works better than the one I previously bought for three times the price. Everything is pretty well manufactured in China anyway.  You can't walk into Walmart and buy something made in Canada or the United States except for some items that you pay a fortune for like a Kitchen Aid stand blender.  Does everyone need that much power unless your a baker? 

I can see your point. I always wanted a Kitchen Aid blender, but the price always kept me from buying. I make pie dough and it's done by hand, be nice if I had a blender with the paddles.

camper6

Pie dough has me stumped.  I'm stubborn and keep on trying but I can't seem to get it right.  My sister makes excellent pie dough.  Mine always turns out hard regardless that I limit the amount of water to just hold it together.  But I'm stubborn and will keep on trying.  Next I am trying Crisco no fail recipe. It has an egg and vinegar in it.  I just noticed on the package now after reading carefully.  You cut the shortening in at room temperature.  I always thought you need it cold like butter based recipes.  Pie dough is more of an art than a science in my opinion.

I did buy a pastry blender paddle that you use by hand at the dollar store. I just made a coconut cream pie with a disastrous crust.  I'm eating the filling separately.  I will not give up until I make a nice crust because it's so handy for other stuff as well. 

My friend bought a Kitchen Aid blender a long time ago and paid about $700. for it.

camper6

Boy we have similar tastes.  Home made pie crusts.  I make bread as well.  I have that down to a science.  To get the dough to rise consistently I put it in the microwave and close the door leaving the light on and blocking off the opening at top with a piece of aluminum foil.  That works every time and you can observe the rise through the glass door.

Ronald

I made different types of breads for years.

Pie dough is so easy, I can do it with my eyes closed.

Use Tenderflake Lard (ONLY) You cannot view attachments, please sign in or register.

INGREDIENTS
UNITS: US
5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 lb tenderflake lard
1 tablespoon vinegar
7⁄8 cup cold water
1 egg, stirred slightly 

(egg, vinegar, water. Do this first, put in fridge until ready to use.)

DIRECTIONS

Stir the flour and salt together.

Cut in the lard with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the shortening is in pea size pieces.

In a measuring cup, combine the egg and vinegar.
Add enough cold water to make one cup. (Make sure you put in the fridge to keep cold until ready to use.)

Stir the liquid into the flour mixture, adding just enough to make the dough cling together.

Stir the water in with a wooden spoon until mixed thoroughly, then gather the dough into a ball, and separate into 6 portions.

Cover and refrigerate for one hour, you can chill overnite, covered, providing you leave it at room temp for 15 mins before rolling. (Not necessary, chill the dough for a couple of hours.)

Lightly flour surface and roll into circles, then pat the dough into pie pans, following pie recipes. Be careful not to stretch the dough.

This is also a good dough for tarts, but you will want to roll the dough a little thicker than you would for pies.

Tenderflake: https://tenderflake.ca/

I get to sample the first pie you make.

camper6

Thanks.  But this is the tough part.

Stir the liquid into the flour mixture, adding just enough to make the dough cling together.

And the temperature that you blind cook the crust and time.  You have to watch it because all ovens are different.

camper6

I estimate that this will be my seventh attempt to make a decent pie crust.

The sad part is that everyone tells me it's easy.  There are too many variables for it to be easy.  For instance.  Your recipe calls for U.S. units.  They are different than Canadian units.  Also it calls for a huge amount of the finished product.  I'm looking for something smaller that would fit into an 8 inch dish.

I will give it a try but first I have to use up the ingredients I have already purchased.

Ronald

You can not buy Tenderflake Lard in the US.

Camper first you need this tool: You cannot view attachments, please sign in or register.

Get it here: https://www.amazon.ca/Blender-BRITOR-Professional-Pastry-Stainless/dp/B083K8DGJZ/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1N7KRFLEUJNLG&keywords=pie+dough+mixer&qid=1679082780&sprefix=pie+dough+mixer%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-18

1st. do the egg, vinegar and water in a one or two cup measuring container. Put in the fridge and get it cold.

Just put all the flour in a large bowl, take the Tenderflake Lard open the wrapper and cut the lard into small pieces, as you cut the lard, put the pieces in the flour. Now with the pie dough mixer, cut the flour and lard until it looks blended, now add the container with the egg, vinegar and water to the pie dough. Now the fun begins, get you hands in the mix and start blending it all together..
After a short time of mixing, I spread some flour on the counter top and remove all the pie dough mix on to the floured counter top. Now mix it until it feels good, add flour if you need to, once it is not sticking to you hands, it will still be stickie, but that is OK. Now roll the pie dough into a long loaf type, take a blade and cut into 6 even pieces. Take some clear plastic wrap, lay out a piece and put a piece of the pie dough in to wrap it and do the same to the other 5 pieces, put into a freezer bag and freeze. When you are ready to make a pie, take out 2 pieces fo pie dough and let them thaw out. When you can squeeze the pie dough it is ready to roll. Put flour on counter top, pie of pie dough and roll from the center out, one roll at a time. Do not roll back and forth.

Watch the video:

If need I'll come to your home for dinner some weekend and show you how to make a nice flaky pie dough.

camper6

I do have those tools and I've had them for a long time and used them.
If you can't get Tenderflake Lard in the U.S. why is the recipe in U.S. units?
Next question.  At what temperature do you use the Tenderflake Lard.  At room temperature or chilled?  This is very important to me because I assumed you had to get the Lard chilled like butter but when I read the Crisco recipe it says to use it at room temperature. 
Oh I see it's a King Arthur recipe.  That's an American flour and it's different than Canadian flour so the mystery of pie dough is still an elusive good recipe for me but I will never give up trying and I know I will succeed.  All kitchens are different. But if you want to make good pie dough or good wine you need good equipment.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on March 18, 2023, 08:27:26 AMI do have those tools and I've had them for a long time and used them.
If you can't get Tenderflake Lard in the U.S. why is the recipe in U.S. units?
Next question.  At what temperature do you use the Tenderflake Lard.  At room temperature or chilled?  This is very important to me because I assumed you had to get the Lard chilled like butter but when I read the Crisco recipe it says to use it at room temperature. 
Oh I see it's a King Arthur recipe.  That's an American flour and it's different than Canadian flour so the mystery of pie dough is still an elusive good recipe for me but I will never give up trying and I know I will succeed.  All kitchens are different. But if you want to make good pie dough or good wine you need good equipment.

No sure about the Tenderflake and Us units.I buy the lard at Sobey's, never could find Tenderflake in America. Could be it's made in America and shipped here. Like Bick's Pickles are made in America, yet you can not buy Bicks Pickles in America, only Canada.

As for the recipe, doesn't matter it's King Arthur, just what I found on the net.

camper6

I gave myself a pat on the back.  I finally produced a nice pie crust.  I read up on how to use a blender.  Gave it a try.  Didn't work.  Finished the dough by hand.