Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

Income Taxes

Started by Ronald, March 01, 2023, 02:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Does anyone prepare and file their own Income Taxes.

My T4 slips never arrived by the end of Feb.
Last night I signed into my CRA Account, downloaded my T4 Slips.
Then opened UFile and started, then clicked on "CRA Auto-fill my return", then it takes you to your CRA Account, when you sign in it automatically installs all the information.
Had 3 errors, it shows you the errors and once you correct the errors, it previews the forms for you to check over, then you click on NetFile, and it is uploaded to the CRA. Now I wait for my refund to appear in my Bank Account, usually in less than two weeks.

How do you file your taxes?

camper6

I didn't get my slips either.  I use Turbotax to file my taxes. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on March 01, 2023, 11:25:53 PMI didn't get my slips either.  I use Turbotax to file my taxes. 

Do you have a CRA account https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency.html if not open one. All of your info. is in here taxes, gst, etc. You can also download the T4 slips.

Do you file online or mail in.?

camper6

I have a CRA account and I used it last night to transfer all the slips available.
I'm using an online account direct with Turbotax.  They charge about $20 but you don't have to pay until you file. My computers and operating system with my laptop and desktop are too old to upgrade to Windows 10.  So I use the online program.  I really don't like the online version compared to the program you load into your computer.  It's very difficult to fix an error.  And you are prevented from printing anything out until you pay.   The tax software companies were supposed to have a free tax program available to avoid CRA from providing one free of charge.  Their free version is for very simple tax returns and students.  I predict that the CRA will be providing a tax return program sooner or later because it's much easier for them to process the millions of tax returns with a digital version.  They don't even provide the paper returns and guides at the post office anymore.  You have to order them to be mailed to you.  Canada is getting oh so cheap these days. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on March 03, 2023, 08:36:55 AMI have a CRA account and I used it last night to transfer all the slips available.
I'm using an online account direct with Turbotax.  They charge about $20 but you don't have to pay until you file. My computers and operating system with my laptop and desktop are too old to upgrade to Windows 10.  So I use the online program.  I really don't like the online version compared to the program you load into your computer.  It's very difficult to fix an error.  And you are prevented from printing anything out until you pay.   The tax software companies were supposed to have a free tax program available to avoid CRA from providing one free of charge.  Their free version is for very simple tax returns and students.  I predict that the CRA will be providing a tax return program sooner or later because it's much easier for them to process the millions of tax returns with a digital version.  They don't even provide the paper returns and guides at the post office anymore.  You have to order them to be mailed to you.  Canada is getting oh so cheap these days. 

UFile works the same way. UFile has a spot where you can click on and it automatically fills in all the boxes, it also points out errors, and has a link back to the error to correct it.

Got a notice this morning my tax has been approved and will deposit my refund on the 13th. of March.

camper6

I'm not happy with Turbo Tax.  I'm going to give UFile a try.  Because I have dividends they want me to upgrade to Premium which is over 30.00 dollars. 

Ronald

Still have not gotten my T4 slips.

camper6

Quote from: Ronald on March 03, 2023, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: camper6 on March 03, 2023, 08:36:55 AMI have a CRA account and I used it last night to transfer all the slips available.

UFile works the same way. UFile has a spot where you can click on and it automatically fills in all the boxes, it also points out errors, and has a link back to the error to correct it.

Got a notice this morning my tax has been approved and will deposit my refund on the 13th. of March.

O.K. I got all my slips and completed my taxes on Turbo Tax.  The charge is $20.00. I also found out I can print the summaries and the comparison to last year.  That helps quite a bit. I remember last year I couldn't do that until I paid and filed.  I don't have to file till April 30.  I'll wait in case another slip comes in.  I'm thinking of a refile on last years taxes.  I didn't claim the transportation tax.  I donated my car to a charity.  They gave me a slip for $400.00  That gives me a $100 credit.  It worked out for me because they came and picked up the car with all the stuff I had in the trunk that they could sell in their store.
Hydraulic jack, tools, mounted pictures, etc., etc. 

Ronald

I can do the same with UFile, I just download a PDF copy to a USB along with the previous years.

camper6

Tell me how to do that because the only way I can do it is to go back to the program.

How do you create a pdf file and save it to a flash drive?

Ronald

After you've filed, it's a good idea to save your return as a PDF (Portable Document Format), which can be viewed or printed using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader software.

This lets you view and print your tax return if your tax data file (.tax file) gets corrupted or if you no longer have the TurboTax software installed on your system.

Instructions
1. Open your return in TurboTax
2. In the menu, near the top, select Print Center (or, you can choose Save to PDF from the File menu)
3. Select the forms you'd like to generate, then select Save As PDF
4. In the Save As window, change the default location if desired, and then select Save

If you make changes to your original return, repeat these steps to ensure your .tax file and PDF copy are synchronized.

Save to Desktop or choose the UBS Flash Drive. I save to desktop, then slide over to the Flash Drive later.