Welcome to our Community!
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Remember, as a Guest you only see part of our forum, become a member to see entire site. Come on in, join us for some good conversations, and some fun times.
Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Theme Selection

BEST REFRIGERATOR FOR LONGETIVITY

Started by camper6, January 20, 2023, 08:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camper6

I watched a video on U Tube.  GE was rated on top made in the U.S.  Worst refrigerators to buy are those with .the water and ice in the door.  Too many problems.  It seems the less gadgets you have the lesser repair calls you will have.  Average life of a new refrigerator is only ten years.  Mine is over twenty.  I never make ice.  And the trays are always empty. Electronic stuff is always subject to problems.  For instance a radio.  The condensors eventually stop working.  There's no way around it except to replace them.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 20, 2023, 08:23:38 AMI watched a video on U Tube.  GE was rated on top made in the U.S.  Worst refrigerators to buy are those with .the water and ice in the door.  Too many problems.  It seems the less gadgets you have the lesser repair calls you will have.  Average life of a new refrigerator is only ten years.  Mine is over twenty.  I never make ice.  And the trays are always empty. Electronic stuff is always subject to problems.  For instance a radio.  The condensors eventually stop working.  There's no way around it except to replace them.

GE is good so is Frigidaire. The worst one on the market is LG won't last less than a year.

camper6

GE is still made in the U.S.  quality control.  Too many gadgets to go wrong on the water and ice in the door.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 21, 2023, 01:30:25 PMGE is still made in the U.S.  quality control.  Too many gadgets to go wrong on the water and ice in the door.

They are all computerized today.

I am still using the same fridge I bought some 35 years ago, frigidaire.

camper6

Me too.  It's a Kenmore from Sears, they are made by Whirlpool. I'm not sure how old but at least 20 years.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 22, 2023, 08:56:39 AMMe too.  It's a Kenmore from Sears, they are made by Whirlpool. I'm not sure how old but at least 20 years.

Whirlpool made them in Ohio, I was in the plant a couple of time.

camper6

And parts are still available.  However some parts for my Kenmore stove are no longer available.  The oven doesn't work and I think it's the electronic panel.  The burners work.  So I just went out and bought a countertop convection oven.  It works great. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 23, 2023, 08:39:32 AMAnd parts are still available.  However some parts for my Kenmore stove are no longer available.  The oven doesn't work and I think it's the electronic panel.  The burners work.  So I just went out and bought a countertop convection oven.  It works great. 

Check this out: https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/Range-Stove-Oven-Repair/13-6--/Kenmore-Range-Stove-Oven-Troubleshooting

Could just be the element.

camper6

I don't think it's the element because the display doesn't light up.  The display is no longer available as a part which is what hapns when you keep an appliance too long.  I didn't want to spend any money on it and I spent the money on a new convection oven which does everything I need as a lonely bachelor. I use the oven for storage which I desperately need.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 24, 2023, 11:51:12 AMI don't think it's the element because the display doesn't light up.  The display is no longer available as a part which is what happens when you keep an appliance too long.  I didn't want to spend any money on it and I spent the money on a new convection oven which does everything I need as a lonely bachelor. I use the oven for storage which I desperately need.

Know how you feel. At our Townhouse I use the oven for storage, very little in cupboard space, two people in the kitchen is to tight to move.
My oven in the Townhouse stopped, I went to check the oven elements and the bottom one the wires had burned themselves off, I cleaned them and put new connectors on, still going after 5 years now.

Had to go for shoulder x-rays this morning, after having that done I went to the Superstore and got a few groceries, went on to Lowes which is next door to get two toilet flappers. I decided to look at the fridges and stoves, they sure are great looking, but the prices are out of this world. Maybe when I come back to a new life.

camper6

Yes storage space is at a premium although my apartment is quite large compared to other apartments.  You have to go vertically.  I have hooks in my kitchen to hang all the utensils and pots. 

It's the electronics that break down in the modern appliances not the mechanical ones like your oven.  On mine it's the control panel that failed.  It's too bad because it just adds to the landfill if you want a full featured stove. 

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 25, 2023, 08:58:09 AMYes storage space is at a premium although my apartment is quite large compared to other apartments.  You have to go vertically.  I have hooks in my kitchen to hang all the utensils and pots. 

It's the electronics that break down in the modern appliances not the mechanical ones like your oven.  On mine it's the control panel that failed.  It's too bad because it just adds to the landfill if you want a full featured stove. 

Sell it for scrap.

camper6

The burners still work.  I hear that induction stoves are quite the thing now.

Ronald

Quote from: camper6 on January 28, 2023, 08:15:09 AMThe burners still work.  I hear that induction stoves are quite the thing now.

I do not know a thing about induction stoves, I heard of them but that's all.

camper6

They use magnetism to heat a pot.  The pot has to bee able to attract a magnet like cast iron.  So that lets aluminum out as well as copper.  It is supposed to be super efficient because it doesn't waste heat around the pot. I watched a show on it on This Old House.